The Positive Space Campaign is organized by a committee of volunteers who work to create awareness of LGBTQ+ communities at the University of Toronto. There is a Positive Space Committee on the St. George, UTSC and UTM campuses and each hosts events, conducts educational initiatives, and shares information with all members of the campus community.
The Positive Space Committee functions on behalf of senior leadership, reporting to:
- at St. George, the Vice-President, Human Resources & Equity
- at UTSC, the Vice-President U of T and Principal UTSC
- at UTM, the Vice-President U of T and Principal UTM
Each provides funding for its local committee and the Positive Space Chair is responsible for this budget and for representing this office in this regard. In addition to liaising with the SGDO, the UTM Positive Space Co-chair will liaise with the Equity & Diversity Officer at UTM and the UTSC Positive Space Staff/Faculty Co-chair will liaise with the Senior Advisor on Equity & Diversity at UTSC.
Positive Space Chair responsibilities include:
- Hosting regular (monthly?) meetings of the Positive Space Committee through the academic year
- Providing supervisory support to the student co-chair (as appropriate and relevant)
- Manages Positive Space budget, with support of SGDO or EDO as relevant
- Supervising work-study student (where relevant)
- Co-manages listserv, including subscription requests and email distribution
- Co-manages social media and website (where relevant)
- Leading committee discussions about event and program ideas
- Delegating tasks and responsibilities to the committee members and providing guidance and leadership to these as they are completed
- Regularly Liaising and connecting with the SGDO (and EDO as relevant) and other campus counterparts with respect to programs and plans for the year
- Works with relevant Equity Offices to develop annual reports/summaries of activities at the end of the academic year
- Building LGBTQ+ community, solidarity and awareness on campus
Staff or Faculty Application Process:
Eligible nominees are employees of the University of Toronto who have some flexibility with their schedule to attend monthly meetings and events. Interested applicants are encouraged to obtain supervisor endorsement prior to applying, as this will be required to fulfill this role.
The Staff/Faculty Chair is a volunteer leadership position, appointed by the Vice-President at the advice of the SGDO/EDO.
The Positive Space Chair’s term will be for 2 years. The term is renewable.